If you are feeling stressed and hassled by the responsibilities in your life, prayerfully do an inventory to see if there is something that can be eliminated.
- What jobs are you doing that you have taken on yourself or allowed others to thrust upon you without seeking God’s direction? Do they fit your personal mission statement? Are these tasks that someone else could do?
- Whether these are home, community, or church positions, bow out of anything that you discover is not God ordained.
- Now list the jobs in which you are involved that you know without a doubt God has given you.
- Ask God if He has any new instructions to give you concerning these assignments.
- Ask Him if He has any new tasks where He wants to involve your time and energy.
- He will strengthen you for each assignment He places on your heart no matter how big and frightening it seems to you.
- Work smart—eliminate busy work from your life.
Teach me your decrees, O Lord; I will keep them to the end. Give me understanding and I will obey your instructions; I will put them into practice with all my heart. Make me walk along the path of your commands, for that is where my happiness is found. Give me an eagerness for your laws rather than a love for money! Turn my eyes from worthless things, and give me life through your word. Reassure me of your promise, made to those who fear you.Psalm 119:33-38
Turn Scripture into a Personal Prayer: (Psalm 119:33-38)
Lord, I truly do want You to be the Lord of my life! Tell me what to do, and I will do it, Lord. If You say no, I will obey. When You tell me yes, give me the strength and courage to move forward at Your command. Give me understanding. Sometimes I struggle to hear clearly what You are saying. Turn me away from wanting any plan but Yours. Revive my heart toward Your way alone. Reassure me that Your promises are mine to claim. I trust You; I reverence You; I am devoted to You! Love, _________1
1Patsy Lewis. Simply Praying (Kansas City, Missouri: Beacon Hill Press of Kansas City, 2006), 194-196.